Re: No PTT Icom Pro III #Cat_RigControl

Martin G0HDB

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 07:47 PM, Jim Keller wrote:
Problem solved.  As they say, a Cockpit error.   I noticed that the Windows speaker symbol in the lower right corner of the screen indicated that the speaker was muted.   Have no recollection of doing that but when I unmuted it I was back in business.
Hi Jim, glad to hear that you've got things working again but your reference to the speaker being muted has got me puzzled - have you got your SignaLink set as the default audio device for Windows?

I use a G4ZLP datamodes interface unit that's functionally almost identical to the SignaLink-USB but without the latter's performance shortcomings; in my Win 10 setup the G4ZLP device isn't configured as the default audio device for Windows - the default device is the Dell motherboard's onboard audio.  I've just tried muting the speaker and it's made no difference whatsoever to the operation of WSJT-X and the G4ZLP interface device - when the PC's speaker is muted WSJT-X and the G4ZLP device continue to output audio and key the PTT.

The danger with setting your SignaLink-USB, or any other external audio codec such as my G4ZLP device, as the default audio device for Windows is that you run the risk of transmitting all the Windows beeps and bongs over the air - Section 4.3 in the WSJT-X User Guide states that all Windows system sounds should be turned off when using the default audio device for WSJT-X's output.

Will it be possible for you to assign another audio device in your system as the default for WIndows so that you can use the SignaLink-USB solely for WSJT-X?  Most PCs have an inbuilt sound capability that can be used as the default for WIndows.

Martin G0HDB