Re: Sudden blindness to sound card and ports windows 10 #AudioIssues #Cat_RigControl #BugReport

Bill Somerville

On 17/02/2021 19:27, Chris wrote:
Thank you for the reply, Bill.  Since last post I did another "hail mary" by uninstalling and deleting all the folders including those in appdata, and downloading a fresh copy.  This gave me a fresh install with nothing set.  Unfortunately, no joy. The symptoms persist.  Here is the result of the run of your audio_devices_enumeration.exe. Aside from showing only one of the input devices, the inventory appears complete.  The C-Media is what the Kenwood is connected to. USB AUDIO CODEC (which is a Signalink) is for the FT-817.  The windows card is the SB X-FI. Happy to do any other testing you might suggest.  Chris, AB6QK.

Hi Chris,

that output is less than there should be. I would expect each device to appear twice, the second one with a "Wave ID". For example here is what I see on my system:

C:\build\temp>\Users\bill\Dropbox\Public\audio_devices_enumeration.exe
number of wave out devices: 11
Wave out device: name: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) Wave ID: 0
Wave out device: name: CyberLink Audio Renderer (PDVD10)
Wave out device: name: Default DirectSound Device
Wave out device: name: Default WaveOut Device Wave ID: -1
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Line 7 (Virtual Audio Cable)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Line 5 (Virtual Audio Cable)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: CABLE Input (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Line 6 (Virtual Audio Cable)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Line 3 (Virtual Audio Cable)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Line 4 (Virtual Audio Cable)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Line 8 (Virtual Audio Cable)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)
Wave out device: name: Line 7 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 1
Wave out device: name: Line 5 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 2
Wave out device: name: CABLE Input (VB-Audio Virtual Cable) Wave ID: 3
Wave out device: name: Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 4
Wave out device: name: Line 6 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 5
Wave out device: name: Line 3 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 6
Wave out device: name: Line 4 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 7
Wave out device: name: Line 8 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 8
Wave out device: name: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio) Wave ID: 9
Wave out device: name: Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 10

number of wave in devices: 11
Wave in device: name: Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio) Wave ID: 0
Wave in device: name: Line 8 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 1
Wave in device: name: CABLE Output (VB-Audio Virtual Cable) Wave ID: 2
Wave in device: name: Line 4 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 3
Wave in device: name: Line 5 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 4
Wave in device: name: Stereo Mix (Realtek High Definition Audio) Wave ID: 5
Wave in device: name: Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 6
Wave in device: name: Line 7 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 7
Wave in device: name: Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 8
Wave in device: name: Line 3 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 9
Wave in device: name: Line 6 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 10

Note that each device appears as a Direct Sound device and as a device with a Wave ID. It is the devices with Wave IDs that are presented to WSJT-X when we enumerate the available audio devices. You only have he built in devices and the USB AUDIO CODEC device is missing.