Re: Sudden blindness to sound card and ports windows 10 #AudioIssues #Cat_RigControl #BugReport

Bill Somerville

On 16/02/2021 19:36, Chris wrote:
I think it would be better to focus on the bigger issue which is the sound card problem.
Note this capture.  The correct card shows initially as "not found".  If I click on the pick list (which I did on the bottom output list) No cards show up.
I'm pretty sure this is due to some corruption in the WSJT-X installation, but un installing and re installing does not fix it.  I'm hoping someone with good knowledge of the "under the hood" areas might shed some light on this.
To restate, all other programs see and work it the card just fine, and WSJT-X worked fine until a bit over a week ago.  This was a sudden and unexpected change.
Chris, AB6QK
Hi Chris,

the (Not found) annotation means exactly what it says. The underlying Qt framework functionality we use to enumerate audio devices did not list the one you last used in WSJT-X. If the drop down list is also empty then no audio devices are available to WSJT-X.

MS Windows has several audio sub-systems, the one we have access to is called MME (Multi-Media Extensions). If MME is unable to enumerate your audio devices then the problem lies within MS Windows and your best source of support is probably with Microsoft support. A basic question like "I am using an application that uses MME audio and it can't see any audio devices, what should I do?" seems pertinent.

If you are happy to download and run a pre-built executable from me, the following application will enumerate the audio devices seen by MME using just MS system library code without any of the framework layers we use in WSJT-X, it would be interesting to see the output:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kidxhnb8w20j7w4/audio_devices_enumeration.exe?dl=1

The source code is here if you want to know what it does or prefer to build it yourself:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mj0f68q7xd07h4/audio_devices_enumeration.zip?dl=1