locked Re: Q65 Averaging #QSO_practices

Hasan Schiers N0AN

They are working on Message Averaging as we speak.

Until the new release comes out, turn Message averaging off unless in a qso, you will get more decodes. When in QSO, turn it back on. (Don't forget to turn it off when done)

Also, turn Deep Decode off. There is little to no benefit in it on Q65 as it currently sits , and it only slows things down.

73, N0AN
Hasan

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 3:02 PM Mike Lavelle K6ML <miclevel@...> wrote:
I'm looking for a bit more info on how to control message averaging.

It seems that unclicking 'Enable Averaging' in the Decode menu doesn't turn off message averaging.

I still see the Average Decodes window and the Clear Avg button, and I see the two numbers in the 4th status window on the bottom incrementing 0 0, 0 1, 1 1, 1 2, etc.
I couldn't find an explanation of those two numbers but they appear to be the number of messages in the averaging accumulator for even and odd message periods, respectively (Is that correct?).

My understanding is that if I'm listening to a quiet band looking for a call (or looking for a response to my CQ's), I don't want averaging on, because I am just accumulating random noise in the message accumulators.   When I finally do get a message, it will be averaged with a lot of previous noise (unless I click Clr Avg after each message period).
Is that correct?

My general comment: the user manual (or Q65 quick start) doesn't really explain the message averaging process very well to a new user.  In addition, the controls don't seem to do what they say.  I'm not sure if this is just a Q65 issue, as I haven't used averaging previous to 2.4.0 or in  other modes.

Thanks for any help,

Mike