locked F/H mode malfunction or operator error? #FoxAndHound

John, K9MM

I am currently using WSJT-X v2.2.2. I updated to this version on 6/26/2020. The computer is running Windows 10 Pro v20H2.

With the dearth of DXpeditions due to Covid-19, it has been months since I last used F/H mode.

Yesterday, J28PJ was using F/H on 17M. When he responded to my call, my transmit frequency stayed above +1000 instead of moving down to his frequency. I was unable to complete the QSO. I was definitely in Hound mode. Later, he was on FT4 and I had a complete QSO.

Last evening, 4U1UN had many calling him on 40M FT8, so he announced he was switching to F/H mode on 7056. He had about a dozen strong callers from NA, SA, and EU, but was making few QSOs and sending many reports repeatedly. After awhile, I stopped calling and just watched what was going on in both even and odd time slots. In many cases, he would give someone a report and they would reply, but their transmit frequency did NOT shift down to his. The QSO would not be completed, and soon the station would be calling him again. Occasionally there would be a QSO attempt where F/H correctly shifted the caller's transmit frequency and the QSO would complete, but this was less common.

Is it possible that there is an F/H incompatibility conflict between v2.2.2 and v2.3.0-rc4? Or are there this many operators who have something wrong in their setup? Strange!

73,

John, K9MM