Hi Phil,

I wouldn't ordinarily do that.  The idea was to ascertain about whether FT8 "cares" about holding the other guy's TX frequency as where to RX, or if a new "sort" after 15 seconds again finds the guy who QSY's.  It's  kind of like some people are in an echo chamber.  You speak English.  A person with a very bass voice with perfect pitch says hello in Spanish on some basically musical note and you hear him amidst several voices talking in English.  You answer in Spanish.  Then he says hello again with a mild falsetto in the same conditions.  If you can under understand Spanish you could still understand him though his frequency changed.

--73, Glenn, AF8C

On 1/29/2021 8:08 AM, Philip Rose via groups.io wrote:

Hi Glenn,

I’ve done this accidentally a few times. Mostly though it’s when I’ve QSY’d and someone calls me for my CQ on the previous frequency. It’s about 50% success that the QSO completes. I suppose it’s whether your QSO partner is monitoring the band view window or the RX frequency one.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Williams, G (af8c) via groups.io
Sent: 29 January 2021 12:38
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Tail ending my signal

Hi Reino,
I said yesterday I would experiment.   Three times in a row this morning I called someone who called CQ.  Then I immediately changed my TX frequency by a few hundred Hz. The QSOs completed without any problem.

--73, Glenn, AF8C

On 1/29/2021 3:08 AM, Reino Talarmo via groups.io wrote:

>Personally I see this as cutting the available bandwidth in half. It’s similar to telling everyone to run split. Takes 2 frequencies to make a QSO that way

Hi,

Personally I am a selfish person and prefer to select whom I answer, but that is not the issue. Let me explain how FT8 is different to many other digital modes. The biggest difference is multi decoding that covers the whole waterfall and even overlapping signals. You still got a RX frequency where the first decoding is tried. RX frequency need not to be same as your TX frequency for successful QSOs. You receive and try to decode all stations over whole waterfall bandwidth.
Now let’s see what happens, when I call CQ. If all stations answers at my TX frequency they will QRM each other and none may not be decoded or only some close by station I am not currently interested in. On the other hand, when answering stations are spread over waterfall range, my receiver will decode most of those and I have nice opportunity to select one.
By the way I totally disagree any statement about cutting available bandwidth in half. Bandwidth is *used* only, when you or anybody is transmitting. When you receive, you don’t *use* any bandwidth. There is another essential difference to most other modes. All transmissions happen in timeslots either even or odd. In effect band is divided timewise into two independent “bands”. QSO uses alternating those “bands” and using a single frequency on each. On the usage point of view it is totally irrelevant, whether those frequencies are same or not. They cannot QRM each other due the time division.

So use split, please. It is more efficient at QSO setup time and after that there is no difference at all.

73, Reino OH3Ma

Avast logo

73 Phil GM3ZZA