locked Re: Involuntary CQing

Martin G0HDB

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 09:24 AM, Austin 2E0MNV wrote:
Just because I have sent RR73 does not mean he has received it.   There have been occasions when the operator has refused to log me because he did not get my RR73.

The issue is, WSJTX stops transmitting immediately after RR73.  You have to click in two separate places on the screen after RR73 is sent, in anticipation that you may need to send it again because the last one went into outer space.  You do not know he got your RR73 until he sends 73 back.  If you set the option to continue transmitting after RR73, it transmits the unwanted CQ, which is unhelpful.

It happened to me 3 times yesterday and all the operators failed to log me even though we exchanged signal reports.  I suspect it was because they did not receive my RR73 for whatever reason.  They expect RR73 or they do not log.

I know there is an RRR option.  However, in this scenario, I transmit RRR, he receives it and sends RR73.  But then I have to send 73, and if he does not get this last 73, he will not log the contact.  There is no option in WSJTX to send 73 more than once.  There is only option to send a CQ after 73 which is a useless option unless you are the calling station.
Austin:

As far as you're concerned a QSO is complete when you've sent either your RRR or RR73 so you can (and should) log the QSO as soon as that stage in the sequence has been reached.  It's not necessary for you to wait until you've received a 73 from the other station before logging the QSO - their final 73 is simply a courtesy.

I acknowledge that it can be helpful to receive a 73 because it does confirm that your RRR or RR73 has been received by the other station but it's not an essential part of the QSO.  Also, if you feel that the other station might not have received your RR73 or RRR because of QSB, QRM or whatever then there's nothing to stop you, as the operator of your station, sending your RR73 or RRR again even if doing so necessitates a couple of extra mouse-clicks - after all, you're supposed to be in control of what gets transmitted.

I don't see any need whatosever in having the software automatically send multiple RRRs or RR73s (or even 73s) - it's all under your control, and in any event there's no certainty that multiple re-sends of RRR or RR73 would get through any better than the first one if the station at the other end is suffering from QRM or if signals had faded significantly.

From the other side, if you're in a QSO and you've sent your R-xx report but for whatever reason (QSB, QRM etc) you haven't copied an RRR or RR73 from the other station then I acknowledge that you don't know that your report has been received; in this situation you, as the operator, can either initiate re-sending your report maybe a couple more times and hope that you eventually receive the RRR or RR73 that confirms that your report has been received, and/or you can log the QSO anyway with a comment to the effect that from your perspective the QSO was only partially complete because you hadn't received the other station's RRR or RR73 because of QRM or whatever.  By doing that you will at least have a record in your log of the exchange of reports and you can at a later date if necessary use that, along with the relevant extracts from your ALL.TXT file, to provide evidence that the essential information was exchanged and hence the QSO was valid.

--
Martin G0HDB