Study the effects of propagation and MUF.  It changes from day to night.

73

Bob, K4TAX

On 12/30/2020 5:27 PM, John Morphet wrote:
It is normal for the higher bands to go quiet and the lower bands to come
alive at night. Since 20m works well, but the lower bands do not, I would be
suspicious of how your antenna is tuned to the lower bands. Check the SWR of
the antenna at the lower bands. It could be something else, but kind of hard
to tell without being there. Maybe you can find a local ham to help you.

John, WØZI
www.w0zi.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Georgina
Joyce
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2020 2:34 PM
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] FT8 success after sunset

Hello All,

I have noticed I can get contacts quite easily during daylight time,
typically 20m and on 40m. I have observed 20m goes flat slowly after sunset.
On 40m and 80m where I can hear activity during darkness, I find it nearly
impossible to get a contact. Being a blind ham I cannot observe what of the
audio levels are changed by the onset of darkness. While I understand that
changes of the layers of the ionosphere affect propagation. I do not know
what effects this is having on my audio levels. Are they excited or subdued?
If so, are both affected? Or is it nothing to do with audio levels? What can
I do to improve my chances of successful contacts during darkness? It
certainly sounds like there's a lot of activity at night. So I assume they
are usually successful but why aren't I?

Many thanks,

Georgina

Call: M0EBP
DMR ID: 2346259