locked Re: Being called when just monitoring and not transmitting

Michael WA7SKG

Just playing devil's advocate here.

While I agree the gridsquare is curious (I did not look it up when I first saw the post), there are folks who operate maritime mobile, so that is a possibility.

While there are not a lot of IO6 calls issued, and that particular one does not show up in QRZ.com, there are lots of DX calls that are not in QRZ.com that are perfectly valid calls. Since many IO calls are special event stations assigned temporarily, it is not unfeasible that it is a valid call. Maybe for a special south Pacific cruise? (There are 190 IO* calls and 7 IO6* calls in QRZ.com)

My point is, it is entirely possible to be called without ever transmitting. It has happened to me a number of times. I have answered a number of them and later found it to be a person who wanted my particular grid square or county.

I am not discounting that false decodes happen, even though I personally have never seen one. It is just that there are several reasons to see what appears to be a station calling you unsolicited. It would have been interesting to see what happened if the OP responded to any of those calls. If they were a false decode, I assume there would have been no reply. Also, if they were a false decode, it is likely he would have only seen it once. If a station were intentionally called him and he did not reply, there should have been multiple attempts.

As far as reporting goes in WSJT-X, I honestly do not remember. I have installed it on several computers and they all have reported to PSKReporter. I do not recall ever having enabled it specifically, it just started doing it after installation. But then, I have slept since then, so who knows what I have forgotten. And, that I have seen, the OP never specified whether it was enabled in his installation or not.

Just Sayin'

Michael WA7SKG

Bill Somerville wrote on 12/16/20 12:41 PM:

Michael,
he false decode reported by the OP was:
G3UEG  IO6YIP BG06
this is clearly a false decode as gridsquare BG06 is nowhere near Italy, also I am not sure that IO prefixes are even issued.
BTW PSKReporter spotting is no the default, you have to enable it.
On 16/12/2020 20:33, Michael WA7SKG wrote:
I'm not sure false decodes have anything to do with it. I think it is more likely someone is watching PSKreporter and seeing a station in an area they are looking for is reporting seeing his call and calls that station.  All a person needs to do is call CQ or otherwise make a transmission for a short time, wait a few minutes, then check PSKReporter for all stations that reported hearing their call. If they see someone in an area they are looking for, like a state or grid square, they take a chance and call that station.

One of the options in WSJT-X is reporting to the Internet, so when you turn on your system and start receiving signals, everything you hear is reported to the PSKReporter database. Some folks leave their equipment on all the time monitoring and reporting, even though they are not at the radio or paying attention. As this is the default setting, many people don't even realize it is happening.

Many times I have left the radio and computer on after operating for a while to come back later and see several stations, especially Japanese stations, have called me while I was away from the radio.

While this may not necessarily be an accepted practice, it is a somewhat common one. Naturally, it is entirely up to you whether you answer these unsolicited calls.

73,
Michael WA7SKG

Jon KM8V wrote on 12/16/20 12:05 PM:
On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 11:03 AM, Bill Somerville wrote:

    \
    Hi Dave,

    this happens because of AP decoding techniques, it is a false
    decode. In
    this case a priori decoding postulates that you might be being
    called as
    a result of calling CQ and, by assuming messages might be to you, it
    can
    increase sensitivity to messages where that information may be erased
    (missing) due to QSB or interference. Because the reduced number of
    bits
    being decoded, the false decode probability is slightly raised due to
    the smaller set of possible decodes. Check the WSJT-X User Guide for
    information on what the "a2" indicates:

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.2.2.html#AP_Decoding

I've seen what seems to me as an increasing incidence of these types of "out of the blue" false decodes.

Perhaps this exists already and I haven't found it, but I think it would be interesting to have a more granular option to Enable AP - for example, perhaps only enabling a3-a6 where it contains the value of DX Call.

I often hesitate to disable AP completely, because if I am working a weak station I want the advantage, but it sure would be nice to eliminate the obviously false decodes.

73 de KM8V Jon