locked Re: Being called when just monitoring and not transmitting

Jon KM8V

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 11:03 AM, Bill Somerville wrote:
\
Hi Dave,

this happens because of AP decoding techniques, it is a false decode. In
this case a priori decoding postulates that you might be being called as
a result of calling CQ and, by assuming messages might be to you, it can
increase sensitivity to messages where that information may be erased
(missing) due to QSB or interference. Because the reduced number of bits
being decoded, the false decode probability is slightly raised due to
the smaller set of possible decodes. Check the WSJT-X User Guide for
information on what the "a2" indicates:

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.2.2.html#AP_Decoding

I've seen what seems to me as an increasing incidence of these types of "out of the blue" false decodes.

Perhaps this exists already and I haven't found it, but I think it would be interesting to have a more granular option to Enable AP - for example, perhaps only enabling a3-a6 where it contains the value of DX Call.

I often hesitate to disable AP completely, because if I am working a weak station I want the advantage, but it sure would be nice to eliminate the obviously false decodes.

73 de KM8V Jon