locked Re: Being called when just monitoring and not transmitting

Lance Collister, W7GJ

Aside from FALSE DECODES, it has happened to me on 6m because WSJT-X is uploading my decodes to PSK Reporter. So sometimes people see that they probably have propagation to me, and that my rig is obviously turned on, so they call me out of the blue! If I am here, I am happy to work them ;-)

GL and VY 73, Lance

On 12/16/2020 15:51:46, David Gould wrote:
I run WSJT-X (2.2.2) and JTAlert (2.16.15).  Recently I have spent quite a lot of time just monitoring 15m, and never transmitting. I have noticed several times that I get called by a "station" with the right format  eg      "G3UEG  IO6YIP BG06           a2"

How can this happen?  IO6YIP is not on QRZ.COM so is suspect.  How is my callsign known, I have NOT transmitted at all , not even tuned up.

This has happened probably 6/8 times over the last couple of months.  Sometimes the message format is obviously gibberish, but sometimes nearly right as above.

I am perplexed!

73,
Dave  G3UEG

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ, V6M, T8GJ, VK9CGJ, VK9XGJ, C21GJ, CP1GJ, S79GJ, TX7MB)
P.O. Box 73

Interested in 6m EME? Ask me about subscribing to the new Magic Band EME
page (above)!