locked Re: Being called when just monitoring and not transmitting

I though I read once that WSJT-X tries and correlate what it can’t quite decode with calls it’s seen before. This is obviously gibberish, as the grid-square is in the middle of the south pacific, and not in Italy.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: David Gould
Sent: 16 December 2020 15:52
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] Being called when just monitoring and not transmitting

I run WSJT-X (2.2.2) and JTAlert (2.16.15).  Recently I have spent quite a lot of time just monitoring 15m, and never transmitting.  I have noticed several times that I get called by a "station" with the right format  eg      "G3UEG  IO6YIP BG06           a2"

How can this happen?  IO6YIP is not on QRZ.COM so is suspect.  How is my callsign known, I have NOT transmitted at all , not even tuned up.

This has happened probably 6/8 times over the last couple of months.  Sometimes the message format is obviously gibberish, but sometimes nearly right as above.

I am perplexed!

73,
Dave  G3UEG

--