locked Re: Etiquette

Jim Shorney

An exchange of grid is no more of a requirement for a valid contact than an exchange of state or country. You have worked that grid whether you exchange it or not. The TX2 call method is in the user's guide as a means of speeding up the contact. Getting wound up over not receiving a grid square seems to be a bit of a first world problem. Do the leg work and don't deny someone else a contact that THEY may need when they are following the instructions in the manual.

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.2.2.html#_standard_exchange

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 03:56:21 +0000 (UTC)
"Gary E. Kohtala via groups.io" <gary.k7ek@...> wrote:

Alek,
I fully agree with you. There must be a two way exchange of the minimum elements requiredfor a legitimate contact. I too avoid folks that call me right off with only a signal report,not having sent their grid. If I have to look it up in QRZ! I feel that the contact doesnot satisfy the minimum requirements. That action is not radio,it's internet.  The syntax of exchanges are very explicit and widely published. Why people are lazy in order to save a few seconds is beyond me. I suppose it is the way our society is going. They want what they want,and want it now! Instant gratification...
Stay safe, and Merry Christmas..
de Gary, K7EK

---
On Thursday, December 10, 2020, 09:41:01 PM EST, Chris Zukowski <czukowski@...> wrote:

Also,
I noticed that also from time to time and usually work the station (usually DX). I never gave it much thought but I do see your side of it.
73,
Chris KN6EQQ
On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 18:09 Alek Petkovic <vk6apk@...> wrote:

I notice that when a lot of people call me in FT8 mode, they skip the first line with their callsign and grid square information and just call with their callsign and my report.

I make a point of not responding to those callers.

In my view, the first line is there for a reason and so it should be included in any QSO.

Also, I happen to collect grid squares and when the calling station does not give that information, I find it a real nuisance to look them up, in mid QSO, on qrz.com, so that I can include their grid square information in the logging field when it pops up.

Thirdly, I believe it is part of the "etiquette" of the mode and it should always be included.

I know that a very large proportion of operators disagree with me but that's just the way I feel.

If you see my sound card calling and you want to work it, then please include your grid square and allow the QSO to go through the proper sequence.  It's pretty simple.

73 and thanks, Alek. VK6APK