locked Re: Receive Locking Up With Windows 10

Russ Ravella

Hi Bill,

THANKS FOR A RESPONSE !!

I agree it seems clear the issue we’re reporting is not wide spread. But it is widespread enough that several users have reported it now for quite a while. Even a response along the lines of, “We don’t know what’s causing this. Here are some thoughts…” as you just provided is very much appreciated.

As I mentioned in previous attempts to seek help for this, I made a video showing what is happening in my case and would be happy to forward it if desired. Although it probably doesn’t contain any useful clues (though I’m not qualified to assess that), it at least shows what’s happening.

I actually AM running on a Dell computer so your suggestion was right on target. However I don’t think it’s the cause in my particular case because nothing else is affected. I always have a full-boat DXLab Suite implementation running, often along with a fair amount of other stuff that continues to run exactly as before during the freeze. And I had the issue on the Win10 HP laptop the Dell replaces as well. I know you said your suggestion might not be my problem but I just wanted to provide this data point indicating something is going on that doesn’t seem to be caused by that particular Dell issue.

I’ve provided the .wav you asked another poster on this issue for and I have the video. Is there anything else I can generate that could help ? Please let me know.

Again, thanks very much for the response !!
Russ KR6W

On Nov 7, 2020, at 2:33 PM, Lance Collister, W7GJ <w7gj@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,

Based on some of the other previous answers to this problem, I think it may have something to do with the audio stream. First, I would make sure that you have done all the system updates from DELL and then also all the updates from Microsoft. Assuming that the computer is 64 bit, make sure you have downloaded the 64 bit version of WSJT-X for Windows. And make sure your Windows sound card settings are for 48000 Hz sampling rate for whatever sound card you are using.

After that, if you are still having problems and are using only the built-in sound card, you might try an inexpensive USB sound card. I have had good success running this for example:

https://www.amazon.com/TROND-Headphone-Microphone-Plug-N-Play-Compatible/dp/B00XUPX2H0 <https://www.amazon.com/TROND-Headphone-Microphone-Plug-N-Play-Compatible/dp/B00XUPX2H0>

GL and VY 73, Lance

On 11/7/2020 14:52:54, Steven Rutledge wrote:
I have still not been able to stop 2.2.2 from locking up on my Dell Inspiron Windows 10 machine. Clearing the screens doesn't work. I thought there might be a buffer limit. Tried various power management schemes. Sometimes it will run for two hours, other times for 15 minutes. There is no correlation to run time. When it locks up, the green receive bar stops at the level it was receiving signals so I don't think the audio is disappearing. Appears to be a software issue of some sort. Unfortunately, I do not have the extensive IT experience some of you guys have who are able to dig into the brain of their computers to figure this out. I'm hoping someone with a Dell might be having the same problem and can give me some guidance. This is making my enjoyment of FT8, etc., dwindle quite rapidly. Never occurred on Windows 7. Started right off with my new Windows 10 machine which everyone warned me not to buy. :)))))))

73,

Steve, N4JQQ

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ, V6M, T8GJ, VK9CGJ, VK9XGJ, C21GJ, CP1GJ, S79GJ, TX7MB)
P.O. Box 73

page (above)!