locked Re: Dependency is not satisfiable: libgfortran3 (>= 4.8.2)

Dale Coleman <dkc@...>

On Mon, 2020-11-02 at 13:11 +0000, Bill Somerville wrote:

Thanks for the replies, I did find: libgfortran3_6.3.0

But it had a dependency issue with gcc-6-base.

Kinda like the idea of compiling from souce.

First I think I will reveiw the change log from my version 2.0.0 and
compare it to 2.2.2. 2.0.0 is working great so I might wait a bit.

root@BlackBox:/home/dkc/Downloads# gdebi libgfortran3_6.3.0-
18+deb9u1_amd64.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading state information... Done
This package is uninstallable
Dependency is not satisfiable: gcc-6-base (= 6.3.0-18+deb9u1)

root@BlackBox:/home/dkc/Downloads#
Hi Dale and Jeff,

that is correct and they seem to prefer new packages rather often, I
assume because of breaking changes as the Fortran language evolves. I
have tried to include alternatives in the Debian and RPM control file
requirements for the next release. Unfortunately there is a defect in
the dependencies listed for WSJT-X v2.3.0 RC1, the next release will
be better.

Note that the Debian package we release for WSJT-X v2.3.0 RC1 targets
Debian 10 (Buster) based distribution versions like Ubuntu 20.04. As
Rick notes, building from sources is the right way to go if there are
dependency issues. I don't understand why anyone would consider
importing packages not in the mainstream distro repositories, that is
risking breaking any number of other packages whereas building WSJT-X
from sources will never require any packages not in your current
distro repositories.

On 02/11/2020 10:30, Rick Chapman wrote:
Jeff
I think you are mistaken. libfortran3 and libfortran5 are
different packages, so libfortran5 can never satisfy a dependency
on libfortran3.
Dale
If libfortran3 is not in your repository, you can (should) build
WSJT-X from sources. Download the wsjtx-2.2.2.tgz file and read
the install file it contains.
Build from sources is pretty easy but there are some fairly obvious
typos in the install file.
Where it refers to "SVN" this may be in your repository as
"subversion"
"libqt5libserialport5-dev" should be "libqt5serialport5-dev"
"libusb-1.0.0-dev" should be "libusb-1.0-0-dev"
Also prior to running the line "$ tar xzf wsjtx-2.0.0.tgz" which
should be "$ tar xzf wsjtx-2.2.2.tgz" you need to have copied the
tgz file into the build directory
Also "cmake -DWSJT_SKIP_MANPAGES=ON -DWSJT_GENERATE_DOCS=OFF
../wsjtx-2.0.0" should end with 2.2.2 as well
Also be aware at the line "$ cmake --build ." this ends with a
dot which is important.
The tools and libraries were about 300Mb to download Build will
take a few minutes to complete. This approach will get round all
your dependency problems.
Hope this helps
Rick(GM4JIB)

On 02/11/2020 02:45, Jeff Stillinger via groups.io wrote:
Read your error message " wsjtx depends on libgfortran3 (>=
4.8.2); however: "

The ">=" is the mathematical symbol for equal to or greater
than. Therefore, libgfortran5 is greater than 4.8.2 and should
meet the dependency.

On 11/1/20 12:22 PM, Dale Coleman wrote:
On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 10:46 -0600, Jeff Stillinger via
groups.io wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I'm confused over libgfortran3 vs
libgfortran5
and the required version.

Looks like libgfortran5 is avaiable but not libgfortran3

root@BlackBox:/home/dkc# apt-cache search libgfortran5
libgfortran5 - Runtime library for GNU Fortran applications
libgfortran5-dbg - Runtime library for GNU Fortran applications
(debug
symbols)
libgfortran5-amd64-cross - Runtime library for GNU Fortran
applications
libgfortran5-arm64-cross - Runtime library for GNU Fortran
applications
libgfortran5-armel-cross - Runtime library for GNU Fortran
applications
libgfortran5-armhf-cross - Runtime library for GNU Fortran
applications
libgfortran5-i386-cross - Runtime library for GNU Fortran
applications
libgfortran5-mips-cross - Runtime library for GNU Fortran
applications