locked Re: sound device settings changed

Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...>

Could be....... but if you have used any other application to play music or video, those applications may change the levels and may change the soundcard choice.   And they may not reset them once they are closed.  Some do, some don't.  I do a good bit of audio editing on my computer that is used for the digital modes.  I've found that if changes occur, I know exactly where to look, what the values should be, and thus able to resolve any issues with little concern.

I do take Windows 10 Pro updates automatically and have not found any issues with the result of updates.    NOW .......one thing I do not do is leave the computer on when not using it.   A close friend who is a security analyst has advised that if the computer is left on, unattended, this is an invitation for hackers to implant viruses, malware, or look for other personal data on your computer.    It just depends on your level of system security, which he also says, most do not have adequate firewall protection.    He says it is like leaving your house unlocked when you are away.

If you don't have a UPS or the battery in the UPS is weak, during a power outage, even a brief one, the computer will shut down.  And the shut down will not close programs or exit programs correctly.   As to what the applications might leave, or the condition they might leave things, is totally unpredictable.  A good quality UPS is always needed and it should be tested on a regular basis.  Say at least once a month.

My rules:   (a)  Don't leave the computer on when not being used.  (b) always close any application correctly when finished before shutting off the computer.

73
Bob, K4TAX