locked sticky Re: Windows audio and sleep mode #AudioIssues

Bill Somerville

Hi Rich and John,

that is partially right. For connected devices like serial ports the power save options are not in play as having a connection open is enough to stop power saving. For audio streams there is no connection as such, an application requests or subscribes to a device stream. Those streams source or sink data to a shared resource and Windows will power that device down without regard for any application using it. Applications are not notified when audio streams are shut off by power saving.

On 28/10/2020 22:26, ve3ki wrote:
Windows makes its decisions on power-saving actions like sleep mode based on keyboard and mouse activity. It does not know about activity on serial ports, sound cards, etc.

There are settings that can and should be changed to prevent Windows from putting USB devices to sleep unexpectedly. There is a nice summary at <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/PreventUSBPortPowerDown>. These settings changes should be applied on any Windows computer that is being used for real-time amateur radio activities.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 06:03 PM, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:
Ya know,

After reading hundreds of these types of issues during the past 6+ months, it really make one wonder what the real problem is...!

Ask yourselves, why in the hell are these computers going to sleep at all?

The affected components are obviously being used; as proven by the fact that wsjtx quits working when those various components (audio, video, usb, etc.) go off into never, never land. Since wsjtx is constantly running & using resources - nothing should be timing out!

Given, ms sucks and they have made a crappy system that doesn't work well most of the time.

Is there perhaps some coding that wsjtx can use to send more robust signals thru the the computer system, so that it can't go to sleep?

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020, 1:50 PM Steven Rutledge <steven.t.rutledge@...> wrote:
I was just about to follow up on a post I made earlier, actually several.  My receive was locking up after a period of time with new Windows 10 computer.  I'm not an IT guy so I was confounded.  I finally discovered it was the sleep mode on Winows 10.  I don't think I never had my Windows 7 desktop or laptops go into sleep mode.  In fact, I'm not sure I knew it existed.  I leave them on all the time.  Anyway, I started fooling around with sleep mode and it appears that was the problem, I hope.  Just actually came to that conclusion this morning.  Thanks to all who tried to help me out earlier.

73,

Steve, N4JQQ