locked Re: Tired of Windows Updates!! - Does Linux maintain the audio settings?

Ken Arck AH6LE

I've been running WJSTx on a Pi3 with no issues...

Ken

At 03:40 PM 9/22/2020, you wrote:

If you go this route, most definitely get a Raspberry Pi 4 with at least 4GB of RAM (they go up to 8 now, but it sounds like that might be overkill).   If you plan on running something like Gridtracker or multitasking (browsing the internet) that's going to take a lot of graphic resources, so you might need to go a different route in that case.

But for the most part, a Pi 4 should work!
On 9/22/20 2:06 PM, Hirokik via groups.io wrote:
 I may have the cheapest, though stable and reliable as any, dedicated WSJT-X system.
I use a Raspberry Pi (about $40). To run FT8, WSPR etc with my IC-7610, all I need is a USB A to USB B cable. The sound card is built in in the 7610. To run the same on my KX2 I use a cheap USB external sound card and two stereo cables along with a CAT cable that came with the KX2.
If you are thinking of a dedicated WSJT-X, you may like to consider this route.
Hiroki AH6CYÂ
HirokiÂ
Sent from AOL Mobile Mail Get the new AOL app: mail.mobile.aol.com
On Monday, September 21, 2020, d_ziolkowski <dan.ziolkowski@...> wrote:
I have two laptops running Linux, one is a Dell, the other is HP. Both machines are low end , ie cheap.

Win 10 crawled on them, Ubuntu runs well.Â

Dan KC2STAÂ

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 3:21 PM John <jonie41@...> wrote:
I agree with Bill. So many folks build their own computers that no two home
built home computer is the same. Most folks are on a budget so folks will
endevor to get the biggest bang for their buck don't realize that that bargain
super performance video card quite likely is counterfeit and the official
drivers may not be 100% functional with that card thus causing trouble down the
digital road. Now I'm not saying that everyone should buy a name brand computer,
I'm saying that one should us name brand components to build their computer.

Here is a question for the group, how many of you folks jumping to Linux are
using a brand name laptop, I'm willing to bet a six pack the number will be
quite small.

I had my desk top built by the now defunct NCIX, I listed the parts I wanted in
it, they built and configured it, I install every update that comes out, never
had a problem with Win 10 updates.

John
VE3KKQ

--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T

President and CTO - Arcom Controllers
Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
https://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave.
We we offer complete turn-key repeater packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net
"We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"
[]