From: WSJTX@groups.io [mailto:WSJTX@groups.io] On Behalf Of RalphE
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 12:34 PM
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] power levels #QSO_practices

How much power are we using for contacts? (BTW, I'm a newbie)
I am running around 10-15 watts on FT8 & JT65 modes. 5 watts when possible.
I am in NE ohio and see reception reports on the west coast sometimes and as far south as Fla.
I have seen reports as far away as Portugal with JT65, when the weather was better, but not last night (clouds, wind and dropping temps.)

My rig info is:
67ft endfed (speaker wire) running north/south and a 9:1 (EARCHI design) transformer. It slopes from about 7 ft to about 30 ft off the ground at the far end.
Kenwood TS-830s. I run the headphone jack output into a TASCAM USB144 MIDI. That goes into the laptop.
Speaker output from the laptop into the mic jack and using VOX.
I works. When it's really noisy, like last night, I have to play with the VBT and gain levels to get the VOX to trip - but once set it works.

Thanks all,

_._,_._,_