locked Re: No GPS, no NTP time sync. Can software be written to use WWV?

JP Tucson, AZ

Ok, here's a dirty little secret...

In reality, for wsjt-x to operate your computer clock DOES NOT have to be set correctly at all!

Seriously! It could be off by 7 years, 9 months, 4 days, & 28 minutes & 45 seconds!

In fact, it only needs to be "zeroed" out to one of; 00, 15, 30 or 45 seconds.

Of course, why you wouldn't want your real time clock to be on time would be a mystery.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020, 9:58 AM Jason B <sydbowen@...> wrote:
My question is how hard would it be to write some software to use the tones from WWV through the audio interface to sync the computer clock for these guys doing POTA? I wish I knew how but I don't have a clue how to write software like that. My idea is to be able to interface through the same connections we use to run soundcard modes and use the minute tone to set the clock in places where you can't access internet or if you don't have GPS. It could be a bit of extra code added to the wsjt-x software right there with the frequency calibration button.