From: Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...>
Date: 7/22/20 13:54 (GMT-05:00)
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] #WSPR

On 22/07/2020 18:41, Chris Rayner wrote:
> Thanks Bill.
> I was aware of the 2min window (been using a WSPRLite from SOTABEAMS
> for a while - really cool).
> So, it must be frequency. But how do I check? The rig is showing the
> right frequency 14.0956MHz (and I have no issues on FT8). Do i need to
> set anything in the waterfall with the Rx and Tx (green and red sliders)?
> Chris
> G7BED

Hi Chris,

WSJT-X includes a FreqCal mode for checking your receiver's frequency to
within a few tenths of a Hertz, you can either adjust your rig's
reference oscillator or use the "Settings->Frequencies->Frequency
Calibration" facility to correct frequency errors.

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.2.2.html#_frequency_calibration

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.2.2.html#BAND_SETTINGS

For FT8 being a few hundred Hertz of frequency is not critical since the
decoder attempts to decode every signal in the waterfall passband. WSPR
only decodes in the indicated 200 Hz window. There is a red flag in that
you have a Yaesu rig, they have menu settings that need adjusting to set
the displayed frequency and carrier point for data modes. If they are
not set correctly your indicated frequency may well not be what the
actual Rx frequency is. The FT-920 further complicates matters as I
believe those settings are not sufficient to get the correct VFO dial
frequency readout for a normal "AFSK" signal. The FT-920 user manual is
not very clear and I understand that it contains several errors as well.