locked Re: WSJT-X V2.2.1 CAT Test Fails for TS440s

Bill Somerville

John,

that's Microsoft's fault with their funky URL scheme. Try this:

You will have to navigate to the right page from there. Open "Error Handling Reference" on the left-hand sidebar menu, then open "System Error Codes" under that. Select "System Error Codes (0-499)" and you will be there.

On 21/06/2020 16:08, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:
Bill,

Ironically funny  : )

Clicked on the link for the code 31 error...  got a 404 page not found error.

Thanks for the info.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020, 7:38 AM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
John,

I will only persist with helping users with queries if they believe what I am saying, your attitude was generally to tell me that I was wrong and you were right. The error message reported was this:
Hamlib: tcsetattr:SetCommState: Serial error 31: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
SetCommState is a Microsoft Windows function used to do various things with serial ports including setting the RTS or DTR pins on or off, as used by Hamlib for PTT. You can look at the documentation for that function here:

You will find error 31 documented here:

The error was not happening every time the function was called, it seemed to be intermittent, which is probably a plausible explanation for your assertion that it is working OK now.

On 21/06/2020 15:02, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:
Bill,

Ok, you said that, but you never responded when I asked for the specific errors you saw - a printout would be nice.

Which is curious, as I see absolutely nothing in the way of problems now; while using v2.2.0.

And as I stated before, over & over, I have NOT EVER had a bit of problem with N1MM, which does not rely on Hamlib, using my CAT interface cable.  [But hey, if you want to dig into your wallet & acquire a different cable & send to me, we can compare those as well!  I simply don't have $ to keep spending needlessly, when I have a working solution].

No sir, after the folks over at Hamlib did whatever they did, and after you guys went from 2.1.2 and rc1 - to rc2, the rc2 & versions since have worked fine.

After field day, (because I ain't gonna take a chance to mess with the present setup), if you want to send a new instrumented version of v2.2.0 I will run that so you can compare.

Last point, the "offering [of] settings configuration advice" is exactly the same advice you sent me! So I am confused as to why I am getting static tor repeating that same advice...

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020, 6:39 AM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
John,

as I explained at the time, your CAT issues with your TS-440s were due to device driver errors from you USB to serial device built into your CAT interface lead. You should not be offering settings configuration advice based on your experiences with faulty hardware.

On 21/06/2020 14:35, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:
Joe,

Do you operate a TS-440S?

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020, 6:27 AM Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

> Note, this all works fine on V2.2.1 if I use DXLabs Commander to
> control the TS440s
What are your *exact* Ports settings for the TS-440S in Commander?

In general, unless your CAT interface holds the RTS pin high or the
CAT connector has a jumper between the CTS and RTS pin, all Kenwood
transceivers require handshake from the computer.  For WSJTX that
would be HANDSHAKE = HARDWARE or HANDSHAKE = DEFAULT.  Once the
RTS (and CTS) line is used for handshake,  it can not be used for
PTT!

I suggest you try HANDSAHKE= DEFAULT and PTT= CAT.

If you need hardware PTT (e.g. for activating audio from the
ACC2 connection), you will need to add a second serial port or
USB to serial adapter or use the "VOX" PTT from your MFJ.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV