locked Re: WSJT-X V2.2.1 CAT Test Fails for TS440s

Bill Somerville

John,

that's Microsoft's fault with their funky URL scheme. Try this:

You will have to navigate to the right page from there. Open "Error Handling Reference" on the left-hand sidebar menu, then open "System Error Codes" under that. Select "System Error Codes (0-499)" and you will be there.

Bill
G4WJS.

On 21/06/2020 16:08, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:
Bill,

Ironically funny  : )

Clicked on the link for the code 31 error...  got a 404 page not found error.

Thanks for the info.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020, 7:38 AM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
John,

I will only persist with helping users with queries if they believe what I am saying, your attitude was generally to tell me that I was wrong and you were right. The error message reported was this:
Hamlib: tcsetattr:SetCommState: Serial error 31: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
SetCommState is a Microsoft Windows function used to do various things with serial ports including setting the RTS or DTR pins on or off, as used by Hamlib for PTT. You can look at the documentation for that function here:

You will find error 31 documented here:

The error was not happening every time the function was called, it seemed to be intermittent, which is probably a plausible explanation for your assertion that it is working OK now.

Bill
G4WJS.

On 21/06/2020 15:02, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:
Bill, 

Ok, you said that, but you never responded when I asked for the specific errors you saw - a printout would be nice.

Which is curious, as I see absolutely nothing in the way of problems now; while using v2.2.0.

And as I stated before, over & over, I have NOT EVER had a bit of problem with N1MM, which does not rely on Hamlib, using my CAT interface cable.  [But hey, if you want to dig into your wallet & acquire a different cable & send to me, we can compare those as well!  I simply don't have $ to keep spending needlessly, when I have a working solution].

No sir, after the folks over at Hamlib did whatever they did, and after you guys went from 2.1.2 and rc1 - to rc2, the rc2 & versions since have worked fine.

After field day, (because I ain't gonna take a chance to mess with the present setup), if you want to send a new instrumented version of v2.2.0 I will run that so you can compare.

Last point, the "offering [of] settings configuration advice" is exactly the same advice you sent me! So I am confused as to why I am getting static tor repeating that same advice...

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020, 6:39 AM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
John,

as I explained at the time, your CAT issues with your TS-440s were due to device driver errors from you USB to serial device built into your CAT interface lead. You should not be offering settings configuration advice based on your experiences with faulty hardware.

Bill
G4WJS.

On 21/06/2020 14:35, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:
Joe,

Do you operate a TS-440S?

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020, 6:27 AM Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

> Note, this all works fine on V2.2.1 if I use DXLabs Commander to
> control the TS440s
What are your *exact* Ports settings for the TS-440S in Commander?

In general, unless your CAT interface holds the RTS pin high or the
CAT connector has a jumper between the CTS and RTS pin, all Kenwood
transceivers require handshake from the computer.  For WSJTX that
would be HANDSHAKE = HARDWARE or HANDSHAKE = DEFAULT.  Once the
RTS (and CTS) line is used for handshake,  it can not be used for
PTT!

I suggest you try HANDSAHKE= DEFAULT and PTT= CAT.

If you need hardware PTT (e.g. for activating audio from the
ACC2 connection), you will need to add a second serial port or
USB to serial adapter or use the "VOX" PTT from your MFJ.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-06-21 8:51 AM, Glenn Van Benschoten wrote:
> Thanks for the reply John,
>
>   
>
> Interesting, you had Hamlib problems on V2.1.0 and not on V2.2.1 – I’m just the opposite.
>
> I tried the config changes you suggested, same Hamlib timeout error, even after restarting WSJT-X.
>
>   
>
> I’m using MFJ-1204 for audio (which should be neither here nor there for CAT purposes) and the CAT connection between the TS440 and my laptop is a USB Serial cable with FDDI chipset.
>
>   
>
> Note, this all works fine on V2.2.1 if I use DXLabs Commander to control the TS440s but trying to have WSJT-X control the radio isn’t working. In case you wonder why not just let Commander run it - I need DXLabs Commander to control my IC746 – can’t have 2 simultaneous primary radios under Commander.
>
>   
>
> Glenn Van Benschoten
>
> gtvanben@...
>
>   
>
> From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of JP Tucson, AZ
> Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2020 10:37 PM
> To: main@wsjtx.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [WSJTX] WSJT-X V2.2.1 CAT Test Fails for TS440s
>
>   
>
> Hi Glenn,
>
>   
>
> I have a TS-440S as well and ran into major issues too! I run a signalink for audio, & separate usb for CAT control.
>
>   
>
> Ok, first, you need to upgrade that old version to ver. 2.2.0. or 2.2.1. as they did some work in Hamlib & now it seems to work.
>
>   
>
> Set the radio settings handshake to none, not default.
>
>   
>
> Set PTT to CAT (not rts) & Split to none.
>
>   
>
> You didn't specify how exactly you are connecting for CAT or audio. Could you specify what kind of cat cable you are running.
>
>   
>
>   
>
> Hope this helps!
>
>   
>
>   
>
> 73 - John - N7GHZ
>
>   
>
> On Sat, Jun 20, 2020, 6:18 PM Glenn Van Benschoten <gtvanben@...> wrote:
>
> I’ve been struggling to get my Kenwood TS440s set up with WSJT-X V2.2.1, keep getting all kinds of Hamlib errors depending on what I changed.
>
>   
>
> Then I recalled that there were some issues posted about Hamlib errors with various rigs on V2.2.1 and so since I had the prior version 2.1.0 running on a different laptop I tried configuring/testing there. I was able to successfully connect and then CAT control the radio (band changes, etc). So something broke between V2.1.0 and V2.2.1
>
>   
>
> Here is the config that works on V2.1.0
>
> cid:image001.png@...
>
>   
>
> Is this a known problem and is there a plan to fix?
>
>   
>
> In the meantime, I can run the TS440s with the Radio set to “None”, but then I lose the CAT control stuff and have to switch bands manually, etc. Switching bands in itself is a pain in that if you change the band via the radio (which you have to do with no CAT control) and you forget to also change the band in WSJT-X you wind up logging contacts for the wrong band.
>
>   
>
> Please advise, thanks
>
>   
>
> N0VB
>
> Glenn Van Benschoten

Join main@WSJTX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.